Antics of a mediocre poker player

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My 1 shot at the WSOP this year

I couldn't call myself a poker player if I didn't at least take one shot at trying to get a seat to the World Series of Poker Main Event. PokerStars has a big tournament this Sunday that will give away at least 150 seats. I played a satellite to win the $370 buy-in. It was a rebuy/add-on tournament that just used Frequent Player Points instead of cash. I rebought 1 or 2 times and used the add-on for 450 or 600 FPP cost. Not bad.

I played for 3 hours and finished 34 out of 507. 1st through 7th got seats, and 8 through 33 got 700FPPs. So I played 3 hours to lose on the bubble. Sucks.

A hand that changed everything involved my big stack getting all in preflop with AKo against some dude's J9o, who apparently just wanted to get knocked out. But I didn't have a huge edge there anyway, and he paired the flop and won, crippling me and I never recovered to an average stack size.

The experience reminded me why I don't play tournaments.

No comments: