As I've pursued gainful employment the last few months, I've mostly used a resume that includes poker as work experience. As far as I'm concerned I was running an internet small business out of my home. I had to make instant high-pressure strategic decisions, perform in-depth statistical analysis, and make capital allocation decisions based on trending and forecasting. These are experiences and skills that I think a smart employer should value.
However according to a recruiter specializing in Montgomery county finance positions, a gaping hole in my resume is much better than mentioning poker. Poker, he claims, evokes images of "gambling, cocaine, and tattoos. Maryland is still in the Bible Belt you know." The Bible fucks me yet again.
The job search process has taught me that appearances are more important than honesty, so I'll be downplaying my poker career in all proceedings henceforth.
Antics of a mediocre poker player
Friday, August 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment